Spiritual Discipline is a means to an end.
This is a means to receive His grace. They are means of an intentional development of authentic Spiritual life and intimacy with the Holy Spirit.
DEFINITION OF SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE
1. This is a deliberate self imposed habit that nurtures spiritual health and fosters Spiritual growth leading to maturity.
2. Deliberate self imposed actions to alter existing life and thoughts patterns, thereby breaking the normal cycle of life and breaking the focus on the mundane to contemplate the subline.
3. Repetitious actions driven by Spiritual decisions rather than natural environmental reactions.
4. Spiritual exercise to develop “Sacred Rhythms” to engage in intentional Spiritual Spirituality in the pursuit of intimacy with God.
BASIC CONCEPTS BEHIND SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE
1. They are called discipline because they are not the natural things to do. Physical discipline include developmental exercises within the natural order of the physical body or mental aptitudes Spiritual discipline are developmental exercises that open us to spiritual realms of existence.
2. They are discipline because need to make a conscious choice to engage in them.
3. Spiritual Disciplines provide methodology and structures and order to carry out through the times I would otherwise ignore my Spiritual health.
IDENTIFYING THE DISCIPLINES
6. Word of God intake.
6. Observing the Lord’s day.
9. Spiritual Direction.
6. Silence before the Lord.
THE ROLE OF DISCIPLINE IN OUR SPIRITUAL LIFE
1. Developing & Deeping Relationship with God.
2. Attaining & Maintaining Spiritual Health.
3. Nurturing & Cultivating Spiritual Maturity.
4. The Practice of Spiritual Discipline.
HOW TO MAINTAIN SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE
1. It must be Strategic.
2. It must be well Planned(Process).
3. Learn to follow how God leads you.
4. Set Achieveable Goals.
5. Learn to stay around people that have already arrived at where you want to get to.
By Pst. Eze Uchechukwu Patrick